Close Menu
PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    What's Hot

    MC Oluomo hijacked Lagos NURTW from me, snatched my second wife –Adeshina, Lagos caretaker chairman

    May 23, 2026

    Protecting Nigerians’ Right to Education

    May 23, 2026

    Osita Chidoka: Africa Must Industrialise Intelligence or Watch Others Drive Past | The China EV Lesson | Tech | Business

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Politics
        • Politics
        • World Politics
      • World News
        • Africa
        • Asia Pacific
        • Europe & UK
        • Middle East
      • Economy
        • Business
      • Technology
      • Metro
      • Sports
      • Entertainment
    • Prima TV
    • Prima Gallery
    • Entertainment
    • Contact
    • About Us
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Home»Sports»Congo World Cup Squad Must Isolate Before US Entry
    Sports

    Congo World Cup Squad Must Isolate Before US Entry

    Prima NewsBy Prima NewsMay 22, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    Congo’s World Cup squad must isolate for 21 days before they will be allowed into the United States due to the African country’s deadly Ebola outbreak, authorities said Friday.

    Andrew Giuliani, the executive director of the White House Task Force for the World Cup, told ESPN that US officials had informed FIFA, the Congolese national team and the government in Kinshasa that the squad was to remain in a “bubble” in Belgium where players are currently in training.

    “We’ve been very clear to Congo that they should maintain the integrity of their bubble for 21 days before they can then come to Houston on June 11th,” Giuliani told ESPN.

    “We’ve made it very clear to the Congo government as well, that they need to maintain that bubble or they risk not being able to travel to the United States. We cannot be any clearer.

    “We want to make sure that there is nothing that’s going to come in or near our borders here on this,” Giuliani added.

    In a separate statement to AFP sent by the US Department of Homeland Security, Giuliani emphasized that the top priority was the “safety and security of the American people, participating teams, and millions of fans.”

    US officials said earlier this week that the Congolese squad would be exempt from a travel ban which temporarily bars entry to the US from non-Americans who have been in the DRC, Uganda or South Sudan in the previous 21 days.

    “We encourage the team to protect their players from unneeded exposure and maintain the integrity of their bubble, to ensure that they are able to participate in the tournament,” Giuliani said.

    The World Health Organization on Friday listed 82 confirmed cases and seven confirmed deaths in the Democratic Republic of Congo, with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths.

    The outbreak has been caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there are no approved vaccines or treatments.

    DR Congo have qualified for the World Cup — which will be held in the United States, Mexico and Canada — for only the second time after playing in 1974, when the country was known as Zaire.

    They have planned to be based in Houston during the tournament, where they will play their first Group K match on June 17 against Portugal.

    AFP

    Source link

    Congo DR Congo Ebola FIFA Football Quarantine sports news US travel ban World Cup
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prima News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Tuchel Names England World Cup Squad as Saka, Kane, Rashford Lead 26-Man Team

    May 22, 2026

    Enzo Maresca wants Chelsea defender at Man City

    May 22, 2026

    Harry Maguire reacts after England World Cup Snub

    May 21, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Trending

    MC Oluomo hijacked Lagos NURTW from me, snatched my second wife –Adeshina, Lagos caretaker chairman

    By Prima NewsMay 23, 2026

    The newly appointed Caretaker Committee Chairman of the National Union of Road…

    Protecting Nigerians’ Right to Education

    By Prima NewsMay 23, 2026

    Perhaps the time has come for the Federal Government to subject the…

    Osita Chidoka: Africa Must Industrialise Intelligence or Watch Others Drive Past | The China EV Lesson | Tech | Business

    By Prima NewsMay 23, 2026

    A striking data point from a McKinsey report published earlier this month…

    Latest News

    MC Oluomo hijacked Lagos NURTW from me, snatched my second wife –Adeshina, Lagos caretaker chairman

    By Prima NewsMay 23, 2026

    The newly appointed Caretaker Committee Chairman of the National Union of Road Transport Workers in…

    Protecting Nigerians’ Right to Education

    May 23, 2026

    Osita Chidoka: Africa Must Industrialise Intelligence or Watch Others Drive Past | The China EV Lesson | Tech | Business

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest news from PRIMA NEWS about politics, art, design and business.

    © 2026 PRIMA NEWS (ISSN: 2251-1237)
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.