Close Menu
PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    What's Hot

    Ebola risk is high inside DR Congo but it’s no pandemic emergency: WHO

    May 20, 2026

    The Imperative of Improved Security & Welfare for Nigerians

    May 20, 2026

    NBA Playoffs 2026: How to Watch Spurs vs. Thunder Tonight

    May 20, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Politics
        • Politics
        • World Politics
      • World News
        • Africa
        • Asia Pacific
        • Europe & UK
        • Middle East
      • Economy
        • Business
      • Technology
      • Metro
      • Sports
      • Entertainment
    • Prima TV
    • Prima Gallery
    • Entertainment
    • Contact
    • About Us
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Home»Featured»Ebola risk is high inside DR Congo but it’s no pandemic emergency: WHO
    Featured

    Ebola risk is high inside DR Congo but it’s no pandemic emergency: WHO

    Prima NewsBy Prima NewsMay 20, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    In an update on the fast-developing situation in eastern DRC, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that beyond the several dozen confirmed cases of infection, there are almost 600 suspected cases of Ebola Bundibugyo virus and 139 suspected deaths. 

    “We expect those numbers to keep increasing, given the amount of time the virus was circulating before the outbreak was detected,” the WHO Director-General told journalists in Geneva.

    Uganda reported two confirmed cases of Ebola in Uganda’s capital, Kampala, he added.

    In the absence of any vaccine or therapeutics for the virus – which Tedros stressed is extremely rare and was last detected in 2007 – WHO teams are already working with community leaders in the epicentre province, Ituri, to help prevent wider transmission. 

    Decades of violence in mineral-rich eastern DR Congo have contributed to chronic vulnerability among the population, including healthcare workers caught up in ongoing insecurity. 

    According to the UN refugee agency, UNHCR, there are more than two million people internally displaced in the affected provinces of Ituri and North Kivu, where the provincial capital of Goma remains under the control of rebel militia M23.

    “We always have a team in Goma and we always continue to provide us support to the population. And this is what we will continue doing this, during this outbreak…we never left Goma during all the insecurity happening, so we will continue staying to provide the security to the community we serve,” stressed WHO’s Dr Marie Roseline Belizaire, Regional Emergency Director (ad interim) and Incident Manager.

    Danger zone

    Underscoring the “inherently challenging” task of detecting outbreaks of Ebola in Ituri province where April saw a new spike in civilian deaths, WHO’s Regional Director for Africa Dr Mohamed Yakub Janabi, explained that effective disease surveillance depends on reliable community reporting, local health facilities being open and laboratory confirmation of infection. “In remote or insecure areas, it can take time for cases to be recognized,” he said, pointing out that Ebola Bundibugyo virus was only identified after samples were transported some 1,700 kilometres (1,056 miles) across the country to the capital, Kinshasa.

    “As soon as WHO was aware of the [threat], support was provided to DR Congo to investigate as quickly as possible. And this ended up with the confirmation late last week,” stressed Dr Anais Legand, WHO Technical Officer for Viral Haemorrhagic Fevers. “Investigations are ongoing to ascertain when and where exactly this outbreak started. Given the scale, we are thinking that it started probably a couple of months ago, but investigations are ongoing and our priority is really to cut the transmission chain.”

    Wednesday’s briefing followed a meeting of the WHO ​Emergency Committee ‌on Tuesday in Geneva which confirmed that the Ebola outbreak is a public health emergency of international concern but not ​a pandemic emergency.

    Chair of the panel, Prof Lucille H Blumberg, stressed that Ebola transmission is through direct contact with blood and body fluids of an infected person – which was likely the case of a patient who died on 5 May in Bunia, capital city of Ituri province, after their family decided to replace the coffin. 

    “So, it’s not casual contact, it’s not airborne. I think we need to be aware of that. And this relates to travel restrictions, which are not supported under the [International Health Regulations] IHR recommendations,” she insisted.

    Prof Blumbert underlined the challenges of bringing the outbreak under control given the ongoing humanitarian crisis, security challenges, the highly mobile population, and close proximity to many borders.

    “Resources, additional people…research and development of countermeasures [are] urgently required,” she insisted, including intensified surveillance and identification of potential contacts.

    It was in accordance with IHR Article 12 that Tedros on Sunday declared a public health emergency of international concern over the Ebola outbreak.

    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prima News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Peter Obi Cleared for NDC Presidential Primary

    May 20, 2026

    My Daughter Barely Recognises Me

    May 20, 2026

    Police Intensify Rescue as Panic Spreads

    May 20, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Trending

    Ebola risk is high inside DR Congo but it’s no pandemic emergency: WHO

    By Prima NewsMay 20, 2026

    In an update on the fast-developing situation in eastern DRC, World Health…

    The Imperative of Improved Security & Welfare for Nigerians

    By Prima NewsMay 20, 2026

    Nigeria is on the march again to have its eighth general elections…

    NBA Playoffs 2026: How to Watch Spurs vs. Thunder Tonight

    By Prima NewsMay 20, 2026

    See at ESPN Eastern Conference finals and NBA Finals for $30 a…

    Latest News

    Ebola risk is high inside DR Congo but it’s no pandemic emergency: WHO

    By Prima NewsMay 20, 2026

    In an update on the fast-developing situation in eastern DRC, World Health Organization (WHO) Director-General…

    The Imperative of Improved Security & Welfare for Nigerians

    May 20, 2026

    NBA Playoffs 2026: How to Watch Spurs vs. Thunder Tonight

    May 20, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest news from PRIMA NEWS about politics, art, design and business.

    © 2026 PRIMA NEWS (ISSN: 2251-1237)
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.