Close Menu
PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    What's Hot

    Haitian children ‘paying the highest price’ amid surge in gang recruitment

    May 24, 2026

    Joint Health, Sleep & Weight Management

    May 24, 2026

    TechCrunch Mobility: Robotaxi reality check

    May 24, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Politics
        • Politics
        • World Politics
      • World News
        • Africa
        • Asia Pacific
        • Europe & UK
        • Middle East
      • Economy
        • Business
      • Technology
      • Metro
      • Sports
      • Entertainment
    • Prima TV
    • Prima Gallery
    • Entertainment
    • Contact
    • About Us
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Home»Featured»Ebola risk ‘very high’ in eastern DR Congo as UN intensifies response
    Featured

    Ebola risk ‘very high’ in eastern DR Congo as UN intensifies response

    Prima NewsBy Prima NewsMay 24, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The UN World Health Organization (WHO) on Friday raised the national risk assessment for DRC to “very high” – although the global risk remains “low”.

    So far, 82 cases and seven deaths have been confirmed in DRC, but WHO says the real scale of the outbreak is likely far larger, with nearly 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths reported.

    The outbreak is unfolding amid intensified fighting, mass displacement and deep mistrust of outside authorities, fuelled by rumours and misinformation.

    One hospital in Ituri province on Thursday was set on fire by angry relatives after authorities refused to release the body of a deceased family member, fearing contamination, according to reports.

    How the UN system is responding

    • WHO raises Ebola risk in DRC to “very high”; regional risk remains “high” and global risk “low”
    • WHO deploys 22 international staff; UNICEF sends emergency response team to Bunia.
    • Health teams support contact tracing, treatment centres, risk communication and community engagement
    • UN relief chief allocates up to $60 million for the response in DRC and neighbouring countries; WHO releases $3.9 million
    • WHO and Africa CDC establish a continental incident management support team
    • MONUSCO airlifts nearly 30 tons of emergency supplies – including medicines, tents and protective equipment
    • The UN peacekeeping mission also runs an air bridge and deploys vehicles to strengthen logistics
    • WHO and partners prepare clinical trials for experimental Ebola treatments and potential vaccines targeting the Bundibugyo strain.
    • Red Cross volunteers carry out door-to-door awareness campaigns and mobilise safe and dignified burial procedures 

    Read more about the outbreak here and about ebola symptoms and prevention here.

    Two cases in Uganda

    Two cases – linked to travel from DRC – have been confirmed in Uganda, including one death.

    Two American nationals – including a doctor and another person described as a “high-risk contact” – have been transferred to Europe for treatment or monitoring.

    The outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there are currently no approved vaccines or therapeutics. Only two previous outbreaks of the strain have ever been recorded – in Uganda in 2007 and DRC in 2012.

    Conflict complicates response

    The outbreak is unfolding in Ituri and North Kivu provinces, regions long scarred by armed violence and humanitarian crises.

    “Across both provinces, around four million people need urgent humanitarian assistance, two million are displaced and ten million face acute hunger,” Tedros said.

    Fighting has intensified in recent months, displacing more than 100,000 people and hampering health operations.

    Emergency $60 million allocated

    Also on Friday, UN Emergency Relief Coordinator Tom Fletcher announced the allocation of up to $60 million from the Organization’s Central Emergency Response Fund to support the response in DRC and neighbouring countries.

    “These are tough operating environments for lifesaving work,” Mr. Fletcher said. “We face conflict and high population movement.”

    He stressed the importance of securing access for frontline responders, including in areas controlled by armed groups. “It is essential that there is no obstruction,” he said.

    © MONUSCO/Abel Kavanagh
    The province of Ituri (pictured) in eastern DR Congo is among the worst affected areas.

    Ebola ‘fabrication’ charge

    Aid agencies stressed that misinformation and distrust could undermine efforts to contain the outbreak.

    Gabriela Arenas of the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) said many communities still carry trauma from previous Ebola epidemics.

    “They remember the fear. They remember the rumours spreading to villages,” she told reporters in Geneva from Nairobi. “They remember neighbours disappearing into treatment centres.”

    While many residents are seeking information and treatment, others still believe “that Ebola is fabricated,” she said.

    The IFRC said Red Cross volunteers were already going door-to-door in affected areas to share information and support safe and dignified burials.

    “During an Ebola outbreak, trust and community acceptance can mean the difference between containment and wider transmission,” Ms. Arenas said.

    Women at greatest risk

    Social dynamics driving transmission could leave women disproportionately affected, as they have in previous Ebola outbreaks, agencies warn.

    “Women are more likely to be infected in the first place,” said Sofia Calltorp, UN Women’s Chief of Humanitarian Action.

    During the 2018–2019 Ebola outbreak in DRC, women and girls accounted for roughly two-thirds of reported cases.

    “This is because Ebola transmission follows social realities,” Ms. Calltorp said. “The virus spreads along the lines of caregiving, domestic labour, frontline health work and burial practices.”

    Pregnant women face particular risks, she added, while quarantines can increase gender-based violence.

    © WHO
    A WHO staff at the agency’s response hub in Nairobi prepares emergency supplies for airlifting to the Ebola outbreak-affected areas in DR Congo..

    Containment efforts intensify

    WHO said it had deployed 22 international staff to the field and released $3.9 million from its contingency fund, while a continental incident management team was being established with the Africa Centres for Disease Control and Prevention.

    The agency and its partners are also accelerating work on experimental vaccines and therapeutics for the Bundibugyo strain.

    Tedros said WHO’s research advisory group had recommended prioritising two monoclonal antibodies for clinical trials, along with testing the antiviral drug obeldesivir for high-risk contacts.

    He also underscored the importance of restoring confidence. 

    “Building trust in the affected communities is critical to a successful response, and is one of our highest priorities,” he said.

    Source link

    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prima News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Haitian children ‘paying the highest price’ amid surge in gang recruitment

    May 24, 2026

    NCAA Suspends Air Peace, Ibom Air, 9 Others Over Debts

    May 24, 2026

    Security Council LIVE: Human cost of Ukraine war, a pattern that ‘defies’ international law, says senior UN aid official

    May 24, 2026
    Add A Comment
    Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

    Top Trending

    Haitian children ‘paying the highest price’ amid surge in gang recruitment

    By Prima NewsMay 24, 2026

    Children now constitute around half of the gang members who have taken…

    Joint Health, Sleep & Weight Management

    By Prima NewsMay 24, 2026

    A couple of months ago, I saw something that amused me on…

    TechCrunch Mobility: Robotaxi reality check

    By Prima NewsMay 24, 2026

    Welcome back to TechCrunch Mobility — your central hub for news and…

    Latest News

    Haitian children ‘paying the highest price’ amid surge in gang recruitment

    By Prima NewsMay 24, 2026

    Children now constitute around half of the gang members who have taken de facto control…

    Joint Health, Sleep & Weight Management

    May 24, 2026

    TechCrunch Mobility: Robotaxi reality check

    May 24, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest news from PRIMA NEWS about politics, art, design and business.

    © 2026 PRIMA NEWS (ISSN: 2251-1237)
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.