Close Menu
PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    What's Hot

    I pray before shooting comedy skits – Moromoluwatiketike

    May 22, 2026

    Nigeria Port Efficiency: A Major Trade Barrier

    May 22, 2026

    Get Your Medical Mobile App Verified By IEEE

    May 22, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Politics
        • Politics
        • World Politics
      • World News
        • Africa
        • Asia Pacific
        • Europe & UK
        • Middle East
      • Economy
        • Business
      • Technology
      • Metro
      • Sports
      • Entertainment
    • Prima TV
    • Prima Gallery
    • Entertainment
    • Contact
    • About Us
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Home»Featured»Showmax App Shuts Down, Users Moved to DStv Stream
    Featured

    Showmax App Shuts Down, Users Moved to DStv Stream

    Prima NewsBy Prima NewsApril 29, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The Showmax app is set to shut down on Thursday, with subscribers being directed to migrate to DStv Stream, according to a notice sent to users.

    In the message obtained by PUNCH Online on Wednesday, the platform informed subscribers of the imminent closure and provided instructions on how to continue accessing content.

    “Big NEWS! The Showmax app is shutting down in 1 DAY! Catch all your favs on DStv Stream by visiting https://dstv.stream/ & changing your password to start. T&Cs,” the notice read.

    DStv Stream, a digital streaming service operated by MultiChoice, allows subscribers to watch live television, movies, series, and sports content across multiple devices, including smartphones, tablets, and smart TVs.

    The shutdown comes amid broader restructuring within MultiChoice following its acquisition by French media giant Canal+.

    PUNCH Online had earlier reported that Canal+ planned to discontinue Showmax as part of cost-cutting measures after a review of its streaming operations.

    According to an earlier report by Variety, the decision was taken by the Showmax board in line with MultiChoice’s renewed focus on “financial discipline and investment optimisation” in a highly competitive global streaming market.

    Launched in 2015, Showmax was positioned as Africa’s answer to global platforms such as Netflix, Apple TV+, Prime Video and Disney+, offering a mix of local and international content.

    In February 2024, the service was relaunched in partnership with NBCUniversal, a subsidiary of Comcast, leveraging technology from the Peacock streaming platform in a bid to improve user experience and expand its subscriber base.

    Despite these efforts and significant investment, the platform reportedly struggled to meet growth expectations. MultiChoice and NBCUniversal are said to have invested about $309m in Showmax to boost content production and technological upgrades, but subscriber numbers failed to scale as projected.

    Financial records also showed mounting challenges, with Showmax’s trading losses rising sharply and revenues declining in the period leading up to the Canal+ takeover.

    Canal+, which acquired a controlling stake in MultiChoice in September 2025, has since initiated a series of cost-cutting strategies aimed at saving about €400m by 2030, with the shutdown of Showmax forming part of that broader plan.

    “The decision to axe Showmax was made by the Showmax board and reflects the continued focus of MultiChoice, a Canal+ company, on financial discipline and investment optimisation,” the company had stated.

    Despite the closure, MultiChoice said no job losses would result from the move, noting that existing agreements tied to the Canal+ acquisition prevent staff retrenchment for a specified period.

    “The decision to discontinue Showmax services will not involve any retrenchments. The group will be engaging and supporting employees through various transition options,” the company added.

    As part of the transition, several Showmax Original productions are already being repositioned for broadcast on MultiChoice-owned channels, including Africa Magic, M-Net, Mzansi Magic and kykNET.

    With the closure now imminent, subscribers are expected to migrate to DStv Stream as MultiChoice consolidates its digital offerings under a single platform.

    Source link

    Africa Magic app shutdown canal digital streaming DStv Stream Entertainment MultiChoice Showmax streaming service subscription service
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prima News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    I pray before shooting comedy skits – Moromoluwatiketike

    May 22, 2026

    APC Unveils 25 Gov Candidates; Kwara, Bauchi Primaries Delay

    May 22, 2026

    CONMESS disparity: UNILAG medical lecturers begin indefinite strike

    May 22, 2026
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Top Trending

    I pray before shooting comedy skits – Moromoluwatiketike

    By Prima NewsMay 22, 2026

    Moromoluwatiketike Abolaji, aka Moromoluwatiketike, is a content creator and actress with 228,000…

    Nigeria Port Efficiency: A Major Trade Barrier

    By Prima NewsMay 22, 2026

    The conversation about Nigeria’s trade competitiveness usually begins in the wrong place.…

    Get Your Medical Mobile App Verified By IEEE

    By Prima NewsMay 22, 2026

    Patients who use mobile applications to manage medical conditions including depression and…

    Latest News

    I pray before shooting comedy skits – Moromoluwatiketike

    By Prima NewsMay 22, 2026

    Moromoluwatiketike Abolaji, aka Moromoluwatiketike, is a content creator and actress with 228,000 followers on Instagram.…

    Nigeria Port Efficiency: A Major Trade Barrier

    May 22, 2026

    Get Your Medical Mobile App Verified By IEEE

    May 22, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest news from PRIMA NEWS about politics, art, design and business.

    © 2026 PRIMA NEWS (ISSN: 2251-1237)
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.