Close Menu
PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    What's Hot

    Wife Recounts Ordeal, Seeks Answers

    May 23, 2026

    Social Media is Messing Up Your Girls!

    May 23, 2026

    Africa Needs Stronger Tech Partnerships for Digital Growth

    May 23, 2026
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
    Subscribe
    • Home
    • News
      • Politics
        • Politics
        • World Politics
      • World News
        • Africa
        • Asia Pacific
        • Europe & UK
        • Middle East
      • Economy
        • Business
      • Technology
      • Metro
      • Sports
      • Entertainment
    • Prima TV
    • Prima Gallery
    • Entertainment
    • Contact
    • About Us
    PRIMA NEWSPRIMA NEWS
    Home»Africa»Ebola Risk Highest in DR Congo, WHO Warns Amid Rising Cases
    Africa

    Ebola Risk Highest in DR Congo, WHO Warns Amid Rising Cases

    Prima NewsBy Prima NewsMay 23, 2026No Comments8 Mins Read
    Share Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Telegram Email Copy Link
    Follow Us
    Google News Flipboard
    Share
    Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email

    The risk from the deadly Ebola outbreak has been raised to the highest level for the Democratic Republic of Congo, the World Health Organization said Friday, as the toll continued to rise.

    There are now 82 confirmed cases and seven confirmed deaths in the DRC, with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths, the WHO said.

    The outbreak, which experts suspect was circulating under the radar for some time, was caused by the less common Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there are no approved vaccines or treatments.

    The WHO is prioritising certain existing treatments to see how effective they might be in combating the strain.

    Uganda situation ‘stable’

    WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the situation was “especially challenging” as health workers scramble to catch up with the spread of the virus and track down contacts of everyone thought to be infected, in highly insecure areas.

    “We know the epidemic in DRC is much larger” than the confirmed cases, he told journalists at the WHO headquarters in Geneva.

    Tedros said the situation in neighbouring Uganda was “stable”, with two cases confirmed in people who travelled from DRC and one death.

    Intense contact tracing appeared to have prevented further spread, he added.

    While a US national who was working in the DRC has tested positive and been transferred to Germany for care, Tedros said another US national deemed to be a high-risk contact had been transferred to the Czech Republic.

    Rwanda’s health ministry announced Friday that any foreign nationals who had travelled through the neighbouring DRC would be refused entry.

    Rwandan nationals and foreigners with Rwandan residency would be allowed in, subject to a mandatory quarantine period “in line with public health protocols”.

    In the Netherlands, Radboud University Hospital said Friday it had admitted a patient with a “low suspicion” of Ebola and had put him in isolation pending the result of diagnostic tests.

    Virus ‘rampant’

    Ebola is a deadly viral disease spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. It can cause severe bleeding and organ failure.

    The WHO upgraded its risk assessment level from high to very high for the DRC, while keeping the regional risk level at high and the global risk level at low.

    The assessment determines the potential impact of a public health threat and the necessary response measures, with WHO advice set to follow.

    “The potential of this virus spreading rapidly is very high, and that changed the whole dynamic,” said the WHO’s emergency alert and response director Abdi Rahman Mahamud.

    Speaking from the field, Anne Ancia, the WHO’s representative in the DRC, said the case numbers would keep rising until all the response operations could be put in place.

    The virus has been “rampant and silently disseminating for a few weeks already”, she said.

    “We are sprinting behind” playing catch-up, with the spread “not yet under control”, she added.

    With no treatments or vaccines available, finding contacts and isolating them for 21 days was the only way to disrupt transmission, she said.

    WHO’s Africa regional director Mohamed Yakub Janabi said Ebola had had a silent early phase, when symptoms resemble malaria or typhoid, meaning transmission can remain undetected.

    Ancia said rising case numbers at this stage was a “good sign” because it showed that surveillance and active discovery of cases were working.

    Treatment trials planned

    There have only been two previous outbreaks of Bundibugyo, in Uganda in 2007 and the DRC in 2012.

    With no approved treatments or vaccines for Bundibugyo, WHO chief scientist Sylvie Briand said the UN agency was prioritising all existing tools that might be useful in combating the outbreak.

    The WHO research and development branch’s technical advisory group on treatments has prioritised two monoclonal antibodies for clinical trials: Regeneron 3479 and Mapp Biopharmaceutical’s MBP134.

    It also recommended evaluating the oral antiviral obeldesivir in clinical trials as post-exposure prophylaxis for people who are high-risk contacts.

    Briand said it looked “promising” as something that might be able to prevent infected contacts from going on to develop disease from that infection.

    As for vaccines, the Ervebo vaccine works against the Zaire strain of Ebola but there is “very little evidence of cross-protection for Bundibugyo”, said Briand.

    While a Bundibugyo-specific equivalent has been worked on, even if prioritised it could take six to nine months to develop.

    The risk from the deadly Ebola outbreak has been raised to the highest level for the Democratic Republic of Congo, the World Health Organization said Friday, as the toll continued to rise.

    There are now 82 confirmed cases and seven confirmed deaths in the DRC, with almost 750 suspected cases and 177 suspected deaths, the WHO said.

    The outbreak, which experts suspect was circulating under the radar for some time, was caused by the less common Bundibugyo strain of Ebola, for which there are no approved vaccines or treatments.

    The WHO is prioritising certain existing treatments to see how effective they might be in combating the strain.

    Uganda situation ‘stable’

    WHO chief Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the situation was “especially challenging” as health workers scramble to catch up with the spread of the virus and track down contacts of everyone thought to be infected, in highly insecure areas.

    “We know the epidemic in DRC is much larger” than the confirmed cases, he told journalists at the WHO headquarters in Geneva.

    Tedros said the situation in neighbouring Uganda was “stable”, with two cases confirmed in people who travelled from DRC and one death.

    Intense contact tracing appeared to have prevented further spread, he added.

    While a US national who was working in the DRC has tested positive and been transferred to Germany for care, Tedros said another US national deemed to be a high-risk contact had been transferred to the Czech Republic.

    Rwanda’s health ministry announced Friday that any foreign nationals who had travelled through the neighbouring DRC would be refused entry.

    Rwandan nationals and foreigners with Rwandan residency would be allowed in, subject to a mandatory quarantine period “in line with public health protocols”.

    In the Netherlands, Radboud University Hospital said Friday it had admitted a patient with a “low suspicion” of Ebola and had put him in isolation pending the result of diagnostic tests.

    Virus ‘rampant’

    Ebola is a deadly viral disease spread through direct contact with bodily fluids. It can cause severe bleeding and organ failure.

    The WHO upgraded its risk assessment level from high to very high for the DRC, while keeping the regional risk level at high and the global risk level at low.

    The assessment determines the potential impact of a public health threat and the necessary response measures, with WHO advice set to follow.

    “The potential of this virus spreading rapidly is very high, and that changed the whole dynamic,” said the WHO’s emergency alert and response director Abdi Rahman Mahamud.

    Speaking from the field, Anne Ancia, the WHO’s representative in the DRC, said the case numbers would keep rising until all the response operations could be put in place.

    The virus has been “rampant and silently disseminating for a few weeks already”, she said.

    “We are sprinting behind” playing catch-up, with the spread “not yet under control”, she added.

    With no treatments or vaccines available, finding contacts and isolating them for 21 days was the only way to disrupt transmission, she said.

    WHO’s Africa regional director Mohamed Yakub Janabi said Ebola had had a silent early phase, when symptoms resemble malaria or typhoid, meaning transmission can remain undetected.

    Ancia said rising case numbers at this stage was a “good sign” because it showed that surveillance and active discovery of cases were working.

    Treatment trials planned

    There have only been two previous outbreaks of Bundibugyo, in Uganda in 2007 and the DRC in 2012.

    With no approved treatments or vaccines for Bundibugyo, WHO chief scientist Sylvie Briand said the UN agency was prioritising all existing tools that might be useful in combating the outbreak.

    The WHO research and development branch’s technical advisory group on treatments has prioritised two monoclonal antibodies for clinical trials: Regeneron 3479 and Mapp Biopharmaceutical’s MBP134.

    It also recommended evaluating the oral antiviral obeldesivir in clinical trials as post-exposure prophylaxis for people who are high-risk contacts.

    Briand said it looked “promising” as something that might be able to prevent infected contacts from going on to develop disease from that infection.

    As for vaccines, the Ervebo vaccine works against the Zaire strain of Ebola but there is “very little evidence of cross-protection for Bundibugyo”, said Briand.

    While a Bundibugyo-specific equivalent has been worked on, even if prioritised it could take six to nine months to develop.

    AP

    Source link

    Bundibugyo strain Disease outbreak DR Congo Ebola global health health crisis Public health Uganda Ebola Viral Disease WHO
    Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr Email
    Prima News
    • Website

    Related Posts

    Decapitated body of nursing student discovered in hostel

    May 23, 2026

    Enugu Police Arrest Two Drug Suspects, Recover Cannabis

    May 23, 2026

    Congo World Cup Squad Must Isolate Before US Entry

    May 22, 2026
    Add A Comment

    Comments are closed.

    Top Trending

    Wife Recounts Ordeal, Seeks Answers

    By Prima NewsMay 23, 2026

    Mrs Gift Oti, a businesswoman based in Enugu State, speaks to TEMITOPE…

    Social Media is Messing Up Your Girls!

    By Prima NewsMay 23, 2026

    Dear Ma, This is a message to thank you for impacting my…

    Africa Needs Stronger Tech Partnerships for Digital Growth

    By Prima NewsMay 23, 2026

    The Chief Executive Officer of Layer3, Oyaje Idoko, has said Africa’s next…

    Latest News

    Wife Recounts Ordeal, Seeks Answers

    By Prima NewsMay 23, 2026

    Mrs Gift Oti, a businesswoman based in Enugu State, speaks to TEMITOPE ADETUNJI about the…

    Social Media is Messing Up Your Girls!

    May 23, 2026

    Africa Needs Stronger Tech Partnerships for Digital Growth

    May 23, 2026

    Subscribe to News

    Get the latest sports news from NewsSite about world, sports and politics.

    Facebook X (Twitter) Pinterest Vimeo WhatsApp TikTok Instagram

    News

    • World
    • US Politics
    • EU Politics
    • Business
    • Opinions
    • Connections
    • Science

    Company

    • Information
    • Advertising
    • Classified Ads
    • Contact Info
    • Do Not Sell Data
    • GDPR Policy
    • Media Kits

    Services

    • Subscriptions
    • Customer Support
    • Bulk Packages
    • Newsletters
    • Sponsored News
    • Work With Us

    Subscribe to Updates

    Get the latest news from PRIMA NEWS about politics, art, design and business.

    © 2026 PRIMA NEWS (ISSN: 2251-1237)
    • Privacy Policy
    • Terms
    • Accessibility

    Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.